GET EXCLUSIVE SALES & COUPONS! SIGN UP TODAY!
In the Tepidarium, 1881: Framed Canvas Replica Painting
By artist Lawrence Alma-Tadema (1836-1912), in a Private Collection
$150.00 – $450.00
Lounging in the Tepidarium, the central hall joining the magnificent spa baths of ancient cities, a sumptuously curvaceous beauty takes her rest. Dutch painter Alma-Tadema is well known for his amazing draftsmanship, best showcased in his imagined depictions of the luxurious lifestyles of the Roman world so popular following the exciting excavation of Pompeii. The authentic stretched canvas replica painting captures the original work's texture, depth of color, and even its subtle brushstrokes, which are applied by hand exclusively for Design Toscano. The imported, delicately carved hardwood frame boasts a delicate leaf motif with fine feathered detailing finished in antique gold tones.
- Includes picture wire and hardware for hanging. Follow simple steps in the PDF linked above.
- Please note these instructions are meant for common drywall walls. If other conditions are present, check with your local hardware store for recommendations on hardware and hanging methods.
About The Artist
Sir Lawrence Alma- Tadema (1836-1912)
Painter of scenes from everyday life in the ancient world who enjoyed an immense popularity in his time. The son of a Dutch notary who intended him for a medical career Alma-Tadema studied art at the Antwerp Academy (1852-58) under the historical painter Hendrik Leys assisting his master in 1859 with frescoes for the Stadhuis Antwerp. During a visit to Italy in 1863 Alma-Tadema became interested in Greek and Roman antiquity and Egyptian archaeology afterward depicting subjects almost exclusively from those sources. Moving to England he became a naturalized British subject in 1873 and was elected a member of the Royal Academy in 1879. He was knighted in 1899. Alma-Tadema excelled at the accurate re-creation of ancient settings costumes and the precise depiction of marble textures bronze and silk. His treatment of human figures is a mixture of restrained sentimentality and coy anecdote.
More works by this artist
Weights & Dimensions
- Small: 16.5"Wx13.5"H framed (9"Wx6"H image size, 4"W frame), 4 lbs.
- Medium: 28.5"Wx22"H framed (21"Wx14.5"H image size, 4"W frame), 6 lbs.
- Large: 40.5"Wx30.5"H framed (33"Wx23"H image size, 4"W frame), 9 lbs.
- Grande: 48.5"Wx36"H framed (41"Wx28.5"H image size, 4"W frame), 11 lbs.