GET EXCLUSIVE SALES & COUPONS! SIGN UP TODAY!
The Gates of Dawn, 1900: Framed Canvas Replica Painting
By artist Herbert James Draper (1863-1920), in a Private Collection
$150.00 – $299.00
Aurora, Roman goddess of the dawn, throws wide the shining doors of morning, the discarded roses at her feet belying her inexhaustible passion. The Victorian sensibilities of the artist's contemporaries were disturbed as they easily identified Draper's extraordinarily sexualized figure as a popular model of the day, Florrie Bird. Though Draper's largely nude female figures were not popular in the artistic circle of his day, his skill is recognized in our time. The authentic stretched canvas replica painting captures the original works texture, depth of color, and even its subtle brushstrokes, which are applied by hand exclusively for Design Toscano. Our replica 4.375" wide, European style, bright gold-toned, ribbed frame is cast in quality designer resin with an acanthus leaf and floret border that draws the eye toward the beautiful image.
- Includes picture wire and hardware for hanging. Follow simple steps in the PDF linked above.
- Please note these instructions are meant for common drywall walls. If other conditions are present, check with your local hardware store for recommendations on hardware and hanging methods.
About The Artist
Herbert James Draper (1863-1920)
English painter Herbert James Draper painted imaginative subjects and portraits of his contemporaries during the Victorian era.
Draper studied art at London's Royal Academy and took many education trips to France Italy Spain Morocco Belgium and The Netherlands.
Draper first received recognition in art for a wall decoration in 1887 where the prize for first place was 40. After exhibiting at the Royal Academy Draper became a very popular painter in his day.
In the 1890s Draper was a productive painter and he focused on mainly Ancient Greek mythological themes. Draper's homage to mythology The Lament for Icarus won the gold medal at the 1900 Exposition Universelle in Paris.
More works by this artist
Weights & Dimensions
- Small: 15.25"Wx21.25"H framed (7"Wx13"H image size, 4.375"W frame), 5 lbs.
- Medium: 19.25"Wx29.25"H framed (11"Wx21"H image size, 4.375"W frame), 6 lbs.
- Large: 25.75"Wx41.25"H framed (17.5"Wx33"H image size, 4.375"W frame), 9 lbs.